Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blabbing BITS

Trying to find a way through the maze
Suddenly, into the past I gaze
When we lived life at will
Unaware of our increasing skill
When “planning future” was just a phrase

This is not a psenti post (atleast it was not intended to be!)

Passing out of BITS, there are some things you realize and some things that you don't. No I am not talking about feeling senti(though its there at some corner, I guess), but about the profound effect the whole BITSian life has on us. I realized this just recently. Its no wonder, almost natural, to see people evolve over the four(or five) years. Personally, during that time I never brooded about the kind of life we were having, nerd that I am. I never actually felt really psenti, but only thought that I should be feeling it and only sometimes, got carried along with the psenti-junta around me. But things get registered subconsciously that come out only when tempted upon, more often that not by an external agent. Actually, this always happens. Its a human trait. Your hatred or love or feelings for things around you, that you never actually think, come out(and sometimes gush out) at the opportune moment.

BITS is like a cocoon for us, protecting us from the cruelties and numerous unwise distractions of the outside world. We do our share of nuisance, but nonetheless, everything that happens is in good spirit and you are more likely to make more friends than enemies. When I see whats the outside like, I just smile.

Apathy and ignorance is another thing we are not aware of and have to get used to. I've seen this at some PS stations and I am seeing one now, people don't know BITS (hell, some even don't know what an IIT is) and I am talking about guys who are educated. It happened again the other day, I met some guy in our toolroom and when I told him that I studied in Rajasthan, he gave me the same weird look and asked “Did you not get in a good university near your place?” and I had to tell him that BITS was one the best in India only for him to nod his head (almost felt as if I was lying!) which was uncomfortable. As you all know, when you state real good facts about yourself, it'll only seem like boasting to the ignorant. The other day another guy asked me what my discipline was and I told him. He replied “What, no specialization? Hehe, yeh toh gaya” (he told it as if I was the guy who just scraped through some education not knowing what else to do) and I wanted to shout at him that I did it at one the best places possible and consequently, I will have numerous choices of a career depending on my interest etc etc. But I knew better and just smiled saying that the course was good.

Another aspect was the GUT(Grand Unification Theory) of my brain. Whatever events or incidents that I come across, I tend to fit them into one justification, for myself. If I happen to find anything that my understanding cannot justify , I get confused. And I always try to get in tune with the world. I am saying this as to signify the effect of college. It expands your horizon mentally, which are among a thousand other things that you don't know happened to you. You sometimes surprise yourself (and disappoint also, but lets not get negative :P) and its amusing what good education can do. I am not talking about myself (I will end up telling nothing, coz I did almost next to nothing) but its my general feeling of bitsians and the like.

Every aspect of my discussion with people tends to go into telling them what BITS was like. The other day, I was speaking to this person, a chartered accountant (oh and obviously, he didn't know BITS), and suddenly started taking about BITS. While talking, I went on and on and after a point of time I was almost talking to myself. I guess am licking my tongue after the tasty meal called BITS(no, not literally, not our mess!) only hoping to have tastier stuff in future(literally also!).

5 comments:

  1. Nice one ra...Miss three things in BITS
    1)Friends
    2)Night Life
    3)LAN

    ReplyDelete
  2. its really good.. waiting for next one

    ReplyDelete
  3. However big the tree is, the roots always remind it that you are born in this soil and BITS is that soil for us :)

    ReplyDelete